Today we’d like to introduce you to Erich Kurschat.
Erich, let’s start with your story. We’d love to hear how you got started and how the journey has been so far.
I founded Harmony Insights in 2011, following nearly 12 years in corporate human resources.
In my HR role, I experienced first-hand the power of effective workplace communication to influence things like trust, culture, engagement, enablement, turnover, customer satisfaction, and, ultimately, company profits.
Since 2006, I had been using the DiSC personality assessment to help business leaders across the country get the most out of themselves and their teams.
In August of 2016, I transitioned out of my corporate role to focus my attention on Harmony Insights and the potential that I knew I had to impact individuals and organizations using the DiSC model.
Shortly thereafter, I founded the Chicago HR Mastermind Meetup in an effort to bring together one of my target audiences, HR professionals.
Overall, has it been relatively smooth? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?
I can’t imagine that there are too many small business owners out there that will claim a smooth road!
My first big lesson in self-employment was that I would need to network and sell in ways that I never had to before. Being naturally introverted, these were activities that felt relatively unfamiliar and even uncomfortable to me.
My second big lesson in self-employment is that I no longer had a supervisor to help establish a roadmap and compass for what was expected of me. I was trading in a job description, well-defined goals, and regular performance feedback for whatever the heck I wanted to do on any given day.
That was a little scary.
While I was fairly confident in the value I knew I would bring to new clients, it was quite clear that there would be a learning curve associated with some of the most fundamental aspects of what I was attempting to do.
The silver lining is that I’ve proven to myself that I’m capable of excelling in these very areas… and that it has been well worth the effort!
Please tell us about Harmony Insights.
Harmony Insights exists to help organizations build and grow teams that value effective communication with diverse personality styles.
Companies often come to me when previous efforts have left them wanting more out of their professional development experiences.
They struggle with conflict, performance, and trust.
They’re convinced that their team members can be communicating more productively, leading more effectively, and selling more successfully.
They need a tool and a facilitator who can help connect the dots, providing just the right mix of education, inspiration, and practical direction.
My deep passion for the DiSC model and 16 years of corporate HR experience position me well to make a lasting, measurable impact on the lives and businesses of my clients.
When I am not facilitating or coaching on DiSC, I enjoy convening HR professionals, folks in job transition, and other niche audiences for inspiring conversation around meaningful work and productive workplace relationships.
I founded the Chicago HR Mastermind Meetup to provide a forum for this discussion and a community for those who crave authentic connection in a spirit of service to others.
If you had to go back in time and start over, would you have done anything differently?
If I had to start over, I’m not sure that there is too much that I would do differently.
I’m a big believer that every experience, however enjoyable or stressful, is an opportunity to reflect, learn, and grow.
I’m stronger now, both personally and professionally, as a direct result of the very path that I have taken.
If anything, I would begin again with an even greater appreciation for the road ahead.
I would suggest having faith that seeds will bear fruit over time and that not everything will be immediately quantifiable.
In fact, not everything will be initially recognizable as seeds!
- DiSC Workshop (starting at $3,497) – on-site workshop, complete with DiSC profiles, solo work, small/large group exercises, and takeaways for continued learning
- Career Assessment Package ($397) – DiSC Workplace Profile assessment, review of existing resume and cover letter, review of existing LinkedIn profile, 1 60-minute coaching conversation via phone
- Career Coaching ($100 per 45-minute conversation) – potential topics include defining meaningful work, examining skills/passions/market, establishing an elevator pitch, exploring non-traditional job search strategy, enhancing networking and interviewing skills
- DiSC Profiles (starting at $64.50) – DiSC assessments and customized reports that dig into natural styles of leadership, management, sales, and general workplace communication
- Website: http://www.EverythingDiSC.com/HarmonyInsights
- Phone: (773) 599-0248
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HarmonyInsights
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/HarmonyInsights
- Other: http://www.HRHotSeat.com